needing the CD after installation for apt-get installs bugs me

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Wed Oct 6 06:08:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 04:05:37PM -0400, David Williamson wrote:

> Why do we need the CD to install some packages after initial
> installation of Ubuntu, when the latest is always on the net?  Libranet
> does this too, and it's absolutely infuriating <to me> to have to hunt
> down the install CD only to find it's not used.

It is used; apt does not ask for the CD unless it contains the latest
version of the package you requested.

There are only a few packages on the CD which are not installed by default,
and they are provided so that they are available to users who do not have
Internet access.  Several of them are provided for the purpose of
establishing an Internet connection where special software is needed.

The ideal solution would be to cache them on the hard disk so that the CD is
not needed; I think that Colin has looked at this, but it is non-trivial to
implement at this time.

--
 - mdz