X trouble with 23" flat panel

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at canonical.com
Wed Oct 6 05:32:22 UTC 2004

Ronald van Engelen wrote:
| Op di, 05-10-2004 te 13:12 +0200, schreef Fabio Massimo Di Nitto:

|>Ronald van Engelen wrote:
|>| Hi,
|>|
|>| I can't get my apple 23" hd cinema display to work with the ati driver.
|>| The screen goes blank after starting X, regardless of the specified
|>| resolution (tried each individual resolution ranging from 1920x1200
|>| (native) to 640x480).
|>|
|>| I did a 'apt-get --purge remove xserver-xfree86' and after that a
|>| reinstall to get the probings right.
|>|
|>| The graphics card used is the Ati Radeon 9600XT, the display is
|>| connected through DVI, but this and more can be read in the attached
|>| logfile (.ati).
|>|
|>| The only way to get 'a' picture in X is by using the vesa driver. This
|>| driver switches the resolution back to 1024x768.
|>|
|>| The config file stayed the same during my trials; I only changed the
|>| driver. I made a tarball of the logs and config file because of the
|>| post limit of 40K.
|>
|>hmmmm Can you try to comment the BusID line in the Section "Device"
|>and/or change it to PCI:1:0:1?
|

| Tried both:
| - commenting out the BusID changes nothing (i therefore ommitted the
| log)
| - changing it to 1:0:1 generates "no device detected" error: see
| atatched log
|

|>There was a warning message in log.ati that i have never seen before.
|>Perhaps that's the problem.
|

| Any other ideas?

Unfortunatly not. I am afraid it is a driver problem and we will have to
wait until X.org is packaged to check, with new ati drivers & co.

Fabio

- --
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.
<user> fajita: step two
<fajita> When in danger or in doubt, step two is to scream and shout.