new to ubuntu, network/internet not working (driver problem?)

Jim Cheetham jim at iNode.co.nz
Tue Oct 5 22:34:02 UTC 2004

deathfalls wrote:
> anyway, this email is in regards to my network/internet not working
> through ubuntu (and also an error i had trying to install drivers). my
> NIC is onboard (ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard, 3com gigabit
> ethernet), and i also use a d-link router (DI-604, to which my cable
> modem is connected).

Another poster recently has problems with a 3com gigabit card, and I
suspect that's what comes with recent ASUS mobos.

Can you send the output of the 'lspci' command to us, please? Also the
output from 'lsmod'.

I suspect that your card should be using the 'sk98lin' module, but we
need to sort out what's currently loaded :-) If you had no eth0 device,
I'd suggest 'sudo modprobe sk98lin' to insert the sk module, but we may
have to identify and remove the current failing module. If it *is*
sk98lin already, we may have to raise a bug.

> later. i figured maybe the NIC wasn't detected, and that i'd have to
> install a driver... so i found a linux driver from the asus website.

Yep, that sounds promising, except that ubuntu doesn't install the
kernel headers by default, and that's what the driver is expecting. If
possible, let's try to fix this problem within ubuntu's supported
framework, because then it'll work for the next person to try!

-jim