PDF-Creation

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Tue Oct 5 08:11:35 UTC 2004

Hi Karsten!

On 2004-10-04 19:34 +0200, Karsten Fischer wrote:
> It seems I run into bad luck these days, I tried to set up a
> PDF-Printer. Setup was smooth, but everytime I try to use the
> PDF-Printer the printer is stopped.

You are doing this with the package cups-pdf, right?

This is indeed a problem with RunAsUser, since in this case the CUPS
backend cannot write into your home directory.

It half-works when you do the following steps:

$ mkdir ~/cups-pdf
$ chgrp lpadmin ~/cups-pdf
$ chmod 770 ~/cups-pdf

Then the PDF file is written there. Unfortunately there are still some
problems:

- the PDF file is owned by cupsys:lpadmin and has zero permissions, so
  you cannot read it
- the PDF queue stops after printing one job, you have to manually
  reenable it

cups-pdf is not officially supported, but I can try to get it working
when I have time. In the meantime I guess you have to live with
RunAsUser set to no.

In the meantime, can you please file a bug report in Bugzilla? Then I
will not forget about it and you will be notified about any progress.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer            http://www.ubuntulinux.org