emacs keybindings? alsaconf?

Scott Campbell scott.campbell at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 4 17:47:20 UTC 2004

I'm just switching from fluxbox on Debian/Testing to Gnome 2.8 on Ubuntu
and can't find the setting to change from Gnome to Emacs keybindings.
The Help suggests it should be in Computer~Keyboard Shortcuts, but it's
not there. Is this a bug or disabled in Ubuntu or missing in Gnome 2.8?.
Can it be twiddled in System Tools~Configuration Editor?

My sound card was detected upon install but appears to be misidentified.
Before, I compiled my own 2.4 kernel and alsa drivers, then used
alsaconf to detect and configure things. Now, with a 2.6 kernel image, I
was hoping to avoid that mess, but alsaconf is missing. I think it was
around on Friday when I installed Ubuntu, but went missing after a
'Smart' upgrade in synaptic. I'd rather try it before fiddling with text
files and compiling my own kernel. Is there another way to
auto-configure things?

Hats off to the Ubuntu team. Great looking system, even on my ancient
Thinkpad 600E. Which brings up a third issue: hibernation/suspend would
be nice, and the thinkpad module/driver from Thomas Hood. I suspect that
I will be forced to grab the kernel sources and do this by hand, but I'm
just voting for my own setup.

Scott