File sharing with windows

Jakob Nickerson roddimus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 23:16:44 UTC 2004

Hi, I'd like to be able to access files on my windows computer from my
linux computer, but i have been having a couple of problems.  I was
told I should use samba and type 'smb://thenameofthecomputer' in the
nautilus window, but that doesn't seem to work, it tells me the
'folder contents cannot be displayed' because I don't have permission.
 How do I put the username and password for file sharing in the line?
I tried:
smb://username:password@computername
smb://username:password@ipaddress
smb://username:password@domainname
and those 3 without the password, none worked.
so i can only assume that is the improper way of doing it,
unfortunatly I have been looking in the wrong places for the info
since everything i find deals with connecting to li/unix from windows.

anyways, I hope that was explained well enouph.