Gnome mounted network shares

David McLaughlin dsmcl_lists at pluo.net
Mon Oct 4 22:18:17 UTC 2004

> > It would be nice if I could access my mounted volumes from OpenOffice
> > and a terminal!

> as this is a feature of an underlying gnome library (libgnome-vfs) it's
> unlikely that you will find this feature in non-gnome apps (at least
> they must be linked against this library to make use of it), but
> openoffice pretty sure support it once.

I believe that support for gnome-vfs is being planned for OpenOffice 2.0, and
should be currently available in the development tree.

I wonder why Gnome implements its own vfs for remote access, though, instead
of incorporating something like autofs that works at a "deeper" level, and
would thereby be accessible to all programs?

http://arstechnica.com/etc/linux/2004/linux.ars-20040211-2.html

I would think Gnome's interface could merely act as a wrapper on the
underlying technology, similar to the way its system control panels work in
2.8.

Enjoy,
David