PATH

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 19:12:24 UTC 2004

Michael Brandtner wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 02.10.2004, 10:57 -0400 schrieb David M. Carney:
>>So my program is installed and my problem fixed, but I'm still kinda
>>curious why I couldn't change the path by updating the /etc/profile
>>file.
>

> The same here.
In case you're interested - I've raised another thread on a similar
issue (".bash_profile not run when using graphical login"). Basically
the .bash_profile (and possibly as you say /etc/profile) don't get run
if you log in via Gnome and then open a terminal window because by
default Bash only runs them for logon sessions (see "man bash").
However, some distros (e.g. Mandrake) do get them to run under these
circumstances and I think that it would be a good idea here. I'm going
to try to find out how Mandrake do it and possibly raise a bug for the
issue.

HTH
Andy