Newbie and using Ubuntu

Benjamin Edwards bedwards at rnli.org.uk
Mon Oct 4 09:57:43 UTC 2004

Been reading this thread and have a couple of (possibly useful comments).

A newbie mailing list may seem like a good idea but there is a danger that it is only going to be subscribed to by newbie.  Mailing list tend to be a two way street. You subscribe because you need help and if you spot something you can help with you do so.  There are some selfless individuals who subscribe mainly to help people, and I applaud them, but they are in the minority.

As for always providing GUI solutions, while this is a good idea it is not always possible/easy.  Windows users are often wary at first of the command line but it is not that difficult to get a command prompt and cut/paste a command from an email.  It is often quicker for someone to give a command line solution than tell people where something is on a menu structure and tell them what fields to fill in etc.   Everyday operation of a system will not need the command line for most people but when things go wrong/need setting up it can be invaluable.  Please give it a try - The command line is your friend.

>>> "s.roman" <s.roman at gmail.com> 10/03/04 04:12am >>>
I think have a ubuntu newbie mailing list would be awesome. currently
im getting all emails from the ubuntu mailising list so that if i
needed to fix anything I could just search through it instead of
emailing about the same problem again, but there are so many emails
about complex solutions to simple problems that it's overwhelming. I
haven't installed Ubuntu yet, but am planning to do so soon, and
coming from windows I have no idea on how to use linux. Hope this
email wasn't too confusing.

Roman