Mailing lists

GR Gaudreau grgaud at sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 3 12:42:42 UTC 2004

<snip>
>>I didn't say "beginners." I expect a lot of first-time installers won't
>>be beginning users of Linux, and if Canonical wants to have someone keep
>>an eye on the list, then the workload should be relatively light,
>

> A recurring request in this thread and others was for a list targeting less
> technical users, so I was addressing that idea as well.
>

>>I think that inviting people to subscribe before they download or
>>install will help ensure that questions regarding installation issues
>>will be directed to the appropriate list.
>>
>>Similarly, ensuring that they know about the next level of (free)
>>support _after_ successull installation will help ensure those questions
>>go to the correct list.
>

> Think about this from the perspective of the people who will need to use the
> lists.  Why should they need to use one list when they're installing, and
> then another list after they've successfully installed?

[GR]   Here's a thought: in my younger days, when I played chess (not
very well, I might add), a more experienced player told me that the way
to learn chess is to play with people who will, in his words, "whoop
your ass."

The point is that in order to learn about Linux, it's best to hang
around on a list like this one. I, for one, agree with Matt on this one.

--
GR Gaudreau <grgaud at gmail.com>