Newbie and using Ubuntu

Richard Schinnell richnrockville at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 3 11:51:28 UTC 2004

>From: Jan Kokoska <kokoskaj at seznam.cz>
>To: Richard Schinnell <richnrockville at hotmail.com>,
>ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>Subject: Re: Newbie and using Ubuntu
>Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:51:37 +0100
>
>Hi Richard
>
>On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 19:39 -0400, Richard Schinnell wrote:
> > I have been reading the lists and it looks to me that 90% of the posters
>are
> > "grep-ds-grok" type people.
>
>Some people know a lot, indeed. If there were not for them, there would
>be no Ubuntu to talk about, or this list, in the first place. Ditto for
>Linux and Unix.

I did not mean to look down on those who do know a lot about Ubuntu as they
are the ones, as you say, do end up improving the os.  I was really trying
to get the point across that some of the "techi's talk to newbies as if they
should know intuitively how to do a greb or sudo. This can be frustrating.

I really like Ubuntu and expect to keep it on my laptop in VPC. It gives me
another dimension in my experience base.  I guess I get frustrated reading
the list to winnow out the hints and helpful stuff from the too techi stuff.
but that is the price of progress.

I have learned an awful lot in the past week about Linux/Ubuntu..
Rich