Newbie and using Ubuntu

Alexander Antoniades sanderant at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 16:19:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 07:51:28 -0400, Richard Schinnell
<richnrockville at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I did not mean to look down on those who do know a lot about Ubuntu as they
> are the ones, as you say, do end up improving the os.  I was really trying
> to get the point across that some of the "techi's talk to newbies as if they
> should know intuitively how to do a greb or sudo. This can be frustrating.

I agree there, while should be an acknowledgement and understanding of
what came before, however if the goal is to move into to the more
mainstream GUI world, there should be considerations made toward that
goal as well. While developers are the creators of operating systems,
users are their lifeblood.

Looking at the wiki and some of the comments on are I can make two
suggestions to this regard:

1) Please include joe or another easy to use text editor in the
default install, and use it for instructions when your instructing
users to edit text files. I think this is important since vi and emacs
aren't tools for people without a *nix background.

2) There is a Root terminal window, if you're going to tell people to
basically issue root commands then just have them use that instead of
just saying 'sudo xxx' since you're assuming they already have a
terminal open, which in many cases may not be true.

I'd like to contribute in this regard, but I still have Sarge on my
primary Linux machine and after the amount of effort it took to get
that running correctly. I'm holding off until I can test it with one
of your live CDs. (My laptop is identical to the one described on this
page http://emeitner.f2o.org/nx9005/ )

Thanks,

Sander