video player blank window with SiS chipset

Andy ubuntu at arda.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 00:54:19 UTC 2004

Fabio wrote:
> |> get
> |>
> |> Do other players show the same file on your machine? Can you try with
> |> xine (you might need to install it from universe)
> |

> | I can find libxine1 in universe, but not xine-ui.
>
> that's strange..
> dpkg -p xine-ui
> [SNIP]
> Filename: pool/universe/x/xine-ui/xine-ui_0.99.1-1_i386.deb

Sorry - operator incompetence :( - it is there of course.

Just loaded it and it works fine. Videos play no problem (except ones
which need an unsupported codec of course - I haven't loaded any
additional codecs).

> I would prefer to know if it is a player problem on a xserver problem.
>
> I guess that would be a perfect start ;)

Well - I guess it's a player problem! With some files Totem plays the
sound but no video, others it hangs altogether. I can give you details
of the files (or send them to you) if that helps.

If you think this is better transferred to bugzilla, I'll do so -
otherwise I'm happy to pursue it on the list. Since Xine works I can
play media so it's not a problem for me but I guess you'd like to track
the bug down? I'm impressed with Ubuntu so far and if I can be of help
in tracking down bugs I'll do what I can.

Cheers

Andy