video player blank window with SiS chipset

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at canonical.com
Sat Oct 2 20:06:33 UTC 2004

Andy wrote:
|  > Fabio wrote:
|  > | Andy wrote:
|
|> | However, there's no video output from Totem - whether from a video file
|> | (only sound plays) or an audio file (no "gorm" visualization). All I
|> get
|> | is a black window.
|>
|> Do other players show the same file on your machine? Can you try with
|> xine (you might need to install it from universe)
|

| I can find libxine1 in universe, but not xine-ui.

that's strange..
dpkg -p xine-ui
[SNIP]
Filename: pool/universe/x/xine-ui/xine-ui_0.99.1-1_i386.deb

| I could grab a debian
| package, or build it from source, but not sure if that's the best thing
| to do to track down the cause of this. It was a clean install so it
| should work - I'm guessing it's a bug but being new to Ubuntu I thought
| I'd check it out a bit before raising it on the bug list.

That's ok. I would have asked you the same question, either opening a
bug or here on the list. If you feel more comfortable to track this
issue in our bug tracking, please do so at bugzilla.ubuntu.com.

| I also considered installing Mplayer but again no packages as far as I
| can see.

You can use marillat's archive. It works fine on Ubuntu too.

| What do you suggest would be most helpful?

I would prefer to know if it is a player problem on a xserver problem.

I guess that would be a perfect start ;)

Thanks
Fabio

- --
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.
<user> fajita: step two
<fajita> When in danger or in doubt, step two is to scream and shout.