usb key not working

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at canonical.com
Fri Oct 1 09:25:03 UTC 2004

Hi Nick, hi John!

On 2004-10-01  9:58 +0800, John wrote:
> >Nick Kamenyitzky <nick at nerdforce.net> wrote:
> >Mine likes to take sda the first time, and sdb the second and subsequent
> >times I connect it.  *shrug*

I still don't understand what happens there. Normally device names are
reclaimed after they do not exist any more after unplugging. If you
encounter this again, can you please type 'mount' in a terminal and
see which /dev/sd... device are still displayed as mounted? Also, can
you please tell us the output of 'ls -l /dev/sd*'?

> I know this sounds daft. I also know it's not needed on all systems.
> However, on some it is.
>
> When you unmount it, eject it:
> eject /dev/sda

This should work, too, but users should not care about it. It seems as
if the device does not get properly unmounted. Nick, If you can provide some
additional information that help us to debug this, this would be
great!

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer            http://www.ubuntulinux.org