gdm, wdm, kdm - no login possible on startup

Johann Spies js at wdsl.co.za
Mon Nov 29 08:34:03 UTC 2004

I have posted something about this problem some time ago, but did not
get an answer.  So I am trying again.

When I boot my Thinkpad R31 with Warty using gdm I cannot login.  Gdm
does
not react at all to my keyboard.  I have previously seen similar
behaviour from gdm and kdm on Debian machines.  However if I disable
gdm at boottime and start it after logging in on a tty everything
works OK.

For a while I could use wdm which did not show this kind of behaviour
but after the last dist-upgrade (using mostly security-related
packages) wdm did the same.  Now I have to start gdm by hand otherwise
I cannot log in.

I suspect it has to something to do with the order the services are
started. I have experimented a little bit to put gdm as late as
possible, but I could not solve the problem.

Am I the only one experiencing this?  At the moment I get similar
behaviour from kdm, wdm and gdm.

Regards

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel. 021-982 2694 / 082 782 0336 / 021-808 4036(w)
             Posbus 4668, Tygervallei 7536