Xorg locales

Nikolai Prokoschenko nikolai at prokoschenko.de
Sun Nov 28 11:52:35 UTC 2004

Hello!

Please welcome a new Ubuntu convert ;) I've just replaced my Sid sources
with Ubuntu Hoary ones and dist-upgraded. Works fine until now ;)

Except for one problem: locales. Or better: Xorg locales. I'm using ion3
as the window manager and I get the following every time it starts:

>> XSupportsLocale() failed.
>> Reverting locale settings to "C".

my locale is set to the following:

LANG=
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ru_RU.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=ru_RU.UTF-8

As a consequence, I cannot use any special characters (german umlauts, any
russian letter) in TKabber (a tcl/tk jabber client). Alas I don't have any
clue, which part of the installation has gone wrong. The locales have been
generated BTW.

Any hint?

Thank you.

--