Boot Splash Howto anyone ?

Trouilliez Vincent vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 25 12:15:17 UTC 2004

> Ubuntu's grub can have a graphical image.  You just need to add a splashimage option in your menu.lst file.  Something like:
> splashimage=(hd0,2) /boot/grub/image.xpm.gz
>
> But the graphic has to have a specific size/format.  It seems the
> commands to create one go like this (but I never tried it personally):
> convert -resize 640x480 -colors 14 image.png image.xpm && gzip image.xpm
>
> (http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/)
>
> With that said, on some displays (including mine!) the resulted grub background will be distorted at boot time.

Thanks ! I just followed this site's howto, worked first time ! :o)
With the Gimp I could easily resize my pics, change to 14 colors, with
no-dithering (important it says on the site), then save it as 'xpm'.
Then just zip it and that's it, I had my very own pic on GRUB !
Wow... :o)
IMHO it really makes the whole thing look so much more 'professional'
and polished. Sadly as soon as I hit 'enter', the magic disappears and
it's back to the kernel's black background... :o(

I really can't wait for Ubuntu to release 'usplash', hopefully it will
be available to Warty before Hoary comes out, because I am really so
impatient !!!! :-)

Vince