Caps lock behaviour reversed, one of the "terminals" has gone all-caps

Nathan S. farruinn at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 00:27:44 UTC 2004

--- Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just had something odd happen. My keycaps became reversed in GNOME.
> With keycaps on, I'd type lowercase and with keycaps off, it'd be
> uppercase.
>
> I switched to "terminal 1" (ctrl-alt-F1) & the screen font went all
> caps though the system still recognised the difference b/t lower- and
> upper-case typing and was also plagued by the reverse caps-lock
> issue.
>
> I fixed GNOME easily enough -- logged out and in again. The "terminal
> 1" (I can never remember what to call them, sessions?) is still
> funny.
>
> Hmm. Reverse-capslock behaviour is back in GNOME. I switch to
> ctrl-alt-1, tried to do some things & realised it was
> reverse-caplocked (everything displays in caps though) so turned on
> caps lock. Switched back to ctrl-alt-f7 & now reverse-capslock is
> back.
>
> Well, that's neat. Wish I knew precisely what triggered it.
>
> FYI I'm on an Apple Macintosh PowerBook G3 "Pismo", had mol
> (mac-on-linux) open in the background, and had booted an OS 9 install
> CD (I'm trying to figure out how to get mol working without having to
> re-install OS X onto the other partition... re-installing isn't worth
> it since OS X is still my primary OS).
>
> Eric.

I've experienced a similar situation on a similar computer (beige G3)
doing something somewhat similar (running mol) =)  Gnome wasn't
affected when it happened to me, but virtual terminal 1 (the "session"
you were referring to - I think they're also called psuedo terminals)
and only vt-1 was affected.  All I could get was uppercase regardless
of the caps lock setting.  It's only happened once to me and I can't
recall how I fixed it (may have just done a shutdown -f now on some
other vt), but I imagine that it's related to mol.

Sorry that really wasn't much help, but at least you know you're not
the only one to have experienced something like that.
~Nathan