How do I calibrate my monitor?

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 21:06:33 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 12:15 -0600, Daniel B wrote:
> The color on my monitor is not right. I know when I've used Macs there
> is a color calibration utility (ColorSync) that lets me calibrate my
> monitor so the color is accurate, is there an equivalent for Ubuntu?

This is a definite interest of mine as a professional photographer...

I haven't yet found colour management or calibration facilities in *any*
Linux that I've used.  This is quite a problem, as it really is needed
for my work.

So for the moment I'm stuck with closed source Mac and Windows based
solutions.  (I actually use a hardware calibrator to set up the screen
on my Windows 2000 workstation.)

I would like to get in touch with other people who also need or would
like proper colour management as a feature of Linux type systems, to try
to push towards their introduction.  I think there may be both technical
and IP problems to overcome.

A quick Google search reveals a lot of old stuff but not much happening
now, with the possible exception of
http://www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/cms.html

Neil