sound prob on an i-386 box

Harry Wright harry at avernus.org.uk
Sat Nov 13 21:53:09 UTC 2004

* mulata <mulata9 at fastmail.fm> [2004-11-13 13:45]:
> i tried the sudo commands for turning on the sound card witht the root
> terminal and these are the responses i got:
>
> root at mulata:/home/mulata # sudo modprobe cs-4231
> FATAL: Module cs_4231 not found.
> root at mulata:/home/mulata # sudo modprobe snd-cs4232
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_cs4232
> (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1-3-386/kernel/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4232.ko): No
> such device
> root at mulata:/home/mulata # sudo modprobe snd-4236
> FATAL: Module snd_4236 not found.
>
> fatal fatal fatal! darn! how will i ever become a famous sound artist now?
>
> any ideas on what to do next? i have also tried reinstalling ubuntu and
> obviously that did no good, either...

Hello. This may or may not be of some help:

I have a IBM Thinkpad 380XD with a CS4237 soundcard. I've never managed
to get this to work with the ALSA drivers, despite much effort (mainly
under Slackware -- I've only been a Ubuntu user for a week).

However, I can use it with the OSS drivers by using:
modprobe sound dmabuf=1
modprobe cs4232 irq=5 io=0x530 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
modprobe opl3 io=0x388

I'm afraid I can't remember how I found out all the right i/o settings,
but this might at least provide a starting point.

All normal sound programs seem to work. I don't know what I'm missing by
not using ALSA.

HTH

Harry.