strange cron entry

Shango Oluwa shango at mewe.org.uk
Wed Nov 17 12:24:24 UTC 2004

Greetings the list,

In all of my organisation's UbuntuLinux installations there is an entry
in crontab:

17 *	* * *	root    run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly

However, /etc/cron.hourly contains no scripts and our LAN router blocks
a packet every 17 minutes (true to crontab) that originates from port
1022 and is destined for an upstream server's port 40118.

'netcat -anc' does not show anything relating to ports 1022 or 40118.

Can anyone please shed some light as to what you think might be
happening here?

Regards,
Shango Oluwa