Forward to ivo (fwd) trying alternate address (PCTel modem on Ubuntu (Warty) kernel 2.6.8)

Ivo Marino eim at
Tue Nov 16 21:55:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 16:37 -0500, marvstod at wrote:

> Ivo,
Hello Marv,

> Sadly, only under 2.4.n is there currently support for:
> Class 0703: 134d:2189   Modem: PCTel Inc:
>   SubSystem 134d:1002   PCTel Inc:
Argh, this is what I've expected but hoped it won't be the case.
Now I can explain the failures during PCTel driver compilation.

> Code folks have been  working for some time to achieve an update
> to 2.6.n , but thus far without success.
I found also an unofficial PCTel driver for kernel 2.6.0 which anyway
did not compile on 2.6.8. It's expected to work only on 2.6.0 and is
also experimental.

> Look at Modem/General.txt for alternative modem suggestions.
At this point I think I three options:

	. Trying the smartlink driver from:

	. Switching Ubuntu from kernel 2.6.8 to 2.4.x.
          (I really would like to avoid this!)

	. Replace the internal PCTel PCI modem with an external one.
          (Brute force solution to the problem ;)

Any suggestions regarding this? Thanks.

> MarvS
Thank you very much for support.
Best regards,

P.S. I Cc: this email to the ubuntu-users at mailing list
in order to involve also the Ubuntu community. Folks there may have my
same troubles with internal PCI modems (PCTel).

   .''`.   Ivo Marino <eim at>
  : :' : chan #debian-mentors
  `. ``    UIN 32463141 + JID eim at
    `-     Homepage