Forward to ivo (fwd) trying alternate address (PCTel modem on Ubuntu (Warty) kernel 2.6.8)

Ivo Marino eim at mentors.debian.net
Tue Nov 16 21:55:10 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 16:37 -0500, marvstod at rcn.com wrote:

> Ivo,

Hello Marv,

> Sadly, only under 2.4.n is there currently support for:
> Class 0703: 134d:2189   Modem: PCTel Inc:
>   SubSystem 134d:1002   PCTel Inc:

Argh, this is what I've expected but hoped it won't be the case.
Now I can explain the failures during PCTel driver compilation.

> Code folks have been  working for some time to achieve an update
> to 2.6.n , but thus far without success.

I found also an unofficial PCTel driver for kernel 2.6.0 which anyway
did not compile on 2.6.8. It's expected to work only on 2.6.0 and is
also experimental.

> Look at Modem/General.txt for alternative modem suggestions.

At this point I think I three options:

	. Trying the smartlink driver from:
          http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/

	. Switching Ubuntu from kernel 2.6.8 to 2.4.x.
          (I really would like to avoid this!)

	. Replace the internal PCTel PCI modem with an external one.
          (Brute force solution to the problem ;)

Any suggestions regarding this? Thanks.

> MarvS

Thank you very much for support.