How to stop unwanted servrices during boot

Markus Hubig ubuntu at pot.ath.cx
Tue Nov 16 20:10:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Wouter Eerdekens wrote:

> I feel it's time to end this discussion, so I wrote a little roundup on
> it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Here it is:
>
> - Editing the initscripts to not start the service is the best method we
>   have for now.

Hmm ... maybe this is ok for someone who has already edited some scripts
but a novice may have some real trubel with it (It's not easy to edit a
scripts with OOo ;-)

> - Removing the symlinks from /etc/rc?.d directories is better, but it's
>   a bit of a hassle to re-enable the service later on.

Jep.

> - Disabling the service by issuing chmod -x is an ugly hack and should
>   be avoided.

Don't agree. Don't see any problem. A simple "ls /etc/init.d/" shows you
all "disabled" services ... and reactivating (when we have a better
solution) via "chmod +x /etc/init.d/*" is also quite easy.

> - In the future, all initscripts should have a /etc/default/<service>
>   file in which we can choose whether or not to start the service at
>   boottime. If it's going to be this approach or something else is
>   another discussion, but we certainly need something.

Jep! And init.d-script-dependencies ;-)

> But the wiki tells the users in the Ubuntu Bootup Howto[1] that the
> chmod approach is 'more straightforward' than removing the symlinks.
> Shouldn't this page be updated with the results of this discussion?
> I can do this, but I need to know what we should be telling the user
> instead.
>
> [1] http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/UbuntuBootupHowto

Yes do this, but we shold promote only ONE methode.

   - Markus

--
We are sorry, you have reached an imaginary number.
Please rotate your phone ninety degrees and try again.