Can't mount disks using Ubuntu Warty i386 on Sony VAIO

Joel Moody allmine at emotionallystunted.com
Tue Nov 16 19:29:10 UTC 2004

I have been using Ubuntu linux, Warty i386, for about 2 months now. I am
happy with the applications, interface, internet, ftp and so forth.
However, I can't mount disks.

I am new to linux, so I might be overlooking something obvious.

All my disks connect to the laptop through a dock. USB mouses function
perfectly and the CD-ROM drive reads perfectly when I am booting from it
or installing.

However, once ubuntu is booted and I am at the desktop or the root
terminal prompt I can't make disks or floppies mount properly. Nor can I
get it to read/mount a USB CD-R/RW drive or an USB Epson printer.

Every time I boot I get a PNP BIOS error. This does not seem to
interfere with anything major, but it might be a source of the disk
mounting problem. I don't know how to boot with "nobiospnp" or how to
download an updated BIOS.

Some sample outputs:

root at blah-blah:/home/blah # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
mount: special device /dev/fd0 does not exist
root at blah-blah:/home/blah # mount -t msdos /dev/scd0 /mnt
mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist
root at blah-blah:/home/blah # mount -t msdos /dev/sr0 /mnt
mount: No medium found
root at blah-blah:/home/blah # mount -t msdos /dev/sr0 /mnt
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       or too many mounted file systems

I have dmesg.txt and lshal.txt and all sorts of other outputs if anyone
wants to see them... not that I understand any of them. I just crawled
through all the wiki sites and such that I could find via Google and put
in all the suggestions I could find, none of which worked.