Wireless PCI cards and archives

E.L. & J.H. Maroon storypage at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 22:11:26 UTC 2004

Okay, I'm very new to Ubuntu and Linux. I love what I
see so far, but I'm having some problems. If these
questions have been asked before, please forgive me
and tell me where to find the list archives.

1. I installed Ubuntu on my daughter's computer, which
has two hard drives. I unplugged the second drive
during install because I was afraid I would wipe out
her data. I then plugged it back in and rebooted. My
problem is that I don't see the second drive or its
data under Disks or Filesystem. When I check the
Device Manager, I do see it. What is the problem here?
If it helps, it was formatted for Windows 98.

2. The system did not recognize her wireless network
card at all, a Belkin 802.11g. I thought it might be
unsupported, so I bought a new card today, a D-Link
802.11g. Still no luck. I even tried to reinstall
Ubuntu and unplugged the built in ethernet port, but
it couldn't find it on install and insisted that I
plug into the port. Any ideas for how I can get this
thing to recognize either one or both of these cards?
Are there drivers out there for this sort of thing? If
so, how do I install them?

Your help with one or both of these problems would be
greatly appreeciated.

--Jim Maroon

=====