system updating with synaptic - shortcuts

Michael Vogt mvogt at acm.org
Sat Nov 13 09:00:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 09:25:34AM +0000, david wrote:
> Greetings,
Hi,

> In order to avoid a 400MB+ download I have /var/cache/apt on cd. So,
> when I hose my install, I just reinstall and copy the cd to /var/cache.
> However, I still have to add the sources to synaptic and click on the
> Refresh button. What does synaptic download when I do this and where
> does it keep them and can I add these files to the cd and copy them in
> manually? The desired result would be synaptic updating the system
> from /var/cache/apt without a net connection being present.
> Is this possible?

I consider a "Add local repository" option inside synaptic. The idea
is that you drop your debs inside a directory and synaptic will make a
proper archive out of it and add it to the sources.list. From reading
the ML it looks like quite a few people are interessted in it?

thanks,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ