SuspendHowto

Tim Hull thully at umich.edu
Fri Nov 12 05:55:55 UTC 2004

I tried the kernel out, and I have a few observations.
First of all, there are a lot of error messages on every boot.  Is this
normal?
Suspend-to-disk works perfectly on my machine (IBM ThinkPad T42),
although there are is a lot of
blinking and messages when I suspend/resume.  Suspend-to-RAM works, but
it takes 10% of my
battery life per hour (as does every form of Linux under ACPI - I've
reported this).  It also has lots of scrolling messages.  However, the
suspend-to-disk works great (if I ignore all the messages)!  It is about
twice as fast as my
rebuilt 2.6.8.1 kernel at resuming.

I also noticed that sometimes when I resume from suspend, xscreensaver
asks for my password.  I think this
should be eliminated, as I prefer to get my system back up instantly
(and there could be an option for "lock and suspend" as well as "suspend
only".  Also, lid close should initiate some kind of suspend.
I will post my results on the wiki page.

thully