oldworld macs [Was: WARTY review]

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:24:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 01:57:33 -0600, Tommy Trussell
<tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:

> One other important thing about your 6100 is that it's not PCI -- it
> uses an older system bus called NuBus -- and I believe you cannot use
> a stock Debian or Ubuntu kernel with it. There are kernels you can
> use, and once you get them installed you can bring in the standard
> Debian or Ubuntu packages to get you.... uh ... a 60 or 66 Mhz linux
> "screamer." ;-)

Right. Definitely NuBus - with some super deluxe video card from that
era in that slot. From the research I've done, the only Linux that can
be installed on it at all is a very old version of Yellow Dog. I bet
if I tried to compile Gentoo on it and put a fan behind it, it would
heat my house all winter. :-)

> (I realize that if you still use the machine you may have put an
> "accelerator" in it so you will want to check with that vendor to see
> if they can supply whatever driver or kernel prompts you might need
> for it to support linux.)

Nah. Accelerators are for wimps. :-) I did put in some $5 mod that
supposedly bumped the speed up to a whopping 80Mhz or so. It's pretty
obvious that it's not very useful anymore, but since it was originally
purchased to just test websites in OS9-era browsers, I got my money's
worth out of it. If there are any collectors out there, it's yours for
$10 plus shipping. Hehe.

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu