OT French dialup provider numbers?

Raphaƫl Berbain raphael.berbain at free.fr
Wed Nov 10 19:51:29 UTC 2004

Neil Woolford <neil at neilwoolford.co.uk> writes:

> I'm setting up (in England) a computer which I will give to my
> brother in France.  I want to get him online with a simple pay as
> you go dialup number with a French ISP.
>
> Do any French resident members of this list have suggestions about
> dialup providers and access numbers to get started.

http://www.free.fr offers a decent basic dialup service (no monthly
fee, local phone communication rates only) & are quite linux friendly
- i.e. no fuss, plain and simple ISP service.  Linux-friendliness
historically stems from their heavy internal free software use.

You'll find the information needed to to set up the connexion at
http://support.free.fr/docs.  Some linux-specific hints:
http://support.free.fr/docs/linux/connexion.html.

Disclaimer:  I have no specific interests in this company - i.e. your
choice won't impact my finances in any way.  However, I personally do
find them to have a good track record:  My parents happily use the
setup you describe, and I also use some of their services (mail - as
my address might betray, news, web hosting, mailing lists).  I also
just subscribed to their broadband offer.  All in all, I am quite
happy with them, especially given the price I (er... my parents) pay
them - i.e. next to nothing.  Don't tell anyone, but I'd gladly pay
more than what my parents do for the core service (net connectivity)
just to get the side services (mail/news/www/ml).

Also, I know you didn't ask but depending on your brother's needs &
location, a basic DSL service might be less expensive.