Laptop Special Keys to enable Wireless -> Problem

"Mariano F.co Benítez Mulett" mariano at teragiga.com
Tue Nov 9 12:54:41 UTC 2004

Hi again people.
I've been using Ubuntu for months and I have to say I'm very happy with
it. However, I found a problem I wasn't able to solve yet due to my low
level of knowledge.
This is the first distro of Linux I try and I've been able to work
around many things but not this. Let me explain.

In order to use the built-in wireless card (some sort of OEM miniPCI
card with the Prism GT or Duette chipset) of my laptop (Medion MD40100)
I have to turn on the wireless-led, without it the card doesn't respond
to anything.
I've read about it in the page of a guy that installed Gentoo in the
same laptop (http://home.conceptsfa.nl/~revdmeer/md40100/#specialkeys)

Now, he managed to make all the special keys including the one to turn
the famous wireless-led on by using a module called Acer Hotkey Driver,
especially fine tuned for this laptop
(http://home.conceptsfa.nl/~revdmeer/md40100/acerhk-0.5.3-patched.tar.bz2).

I tryed to follow all his indications to install this module, but after
I do the "make" and I try to do a "insmod acerhk.o" to enable the
wireless card I get an error saying: "insmod: error inserting
'acerhk.o': -1 Invalid module format".

The instruccions in the make file are:

# change KERNELSRC to the location of your kernel build tree
#KERNELSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.4-1-k7/build
KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.8.1-3-386
KERNELVERSION=$(shell awk -F\" '/REL/ {print $$2}'
$(KERNELSRC)/include/linux/version.h)
KERNELMAJOR=$(shell echo $(KERNELVERSION)|head -c3)

# next line is for kernel 2.6, if you integrate the driver in the kernel
tree
# /usr/src/linux/drivers/acerhk - or something similar
# don't forget to add the following line to the parent dir's Makefile:
# (/usr/src/linux/drivers/Makefile)
# obj-m                           += acerhk/
obj-m += acerhk.o

And I thought I was doing everything correctly but after the result I
got I think I wasn't right at all.

Any help guys?
Any hint to solve this?

Thanks in advance for your time

Mariano F.co Benítez Mulet (at 30km from Mataró)