(OT?) Asus A7N8X and Ubuntu happy together?

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at luukku.com
Tue Nov 9 00:09:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

I hope I'm not stretching the limits of this list by asking this
question here - please tell me if I am. I'm in a process of helping two
people to upgrade their PC's and then to install Ubuntu on these
machines (two new users for Linux and Ubuntu :-)

I've been thinking of recommending Asus A7N8X-X and Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Wi-Fi motherboards for them and would like to know if anyone on this
list has experienced any issues with these boards. I searched the web
for info about the boards and found this comment, which I don't fully
understand:

"The combination of the Asus A7N8X and linux DOES work. However, the
issue is that Asus did not set up the bios in such a way as to allow you
to turn off the SATA RAID controller (Which in turn is the issue that
will cause a kernel panic every time). The solution? Make sure you have
drives attached to the SATA RAID, that will stop the kernel panic.
Installing the drivers for the RAID are nothing short of a major pain,
and hopefully with enough complaints, Promise will start developing
drivers for REAL operating systems."
( http://www.linuxcompatible.org/cdetail11338.html )

At least for the time being there would be only one hard drive installed
on both boards and the comment above seems to suggest that this might
cause some problems - or do I misunderstand the comment. Should one
avoid these boards or should one avoid RAID in general for Ubuntu if
only one hard disk is going to be present?

Any information or experiences on this matter would be much appreciated,
as would be any suggestions on other stable, high quality,
Ubuntu-friendly (preferably AMD) motherboards. Sorry about the long post
- I feel guilty when it happends, but... but... I can't cut something
off just like that, can I? ...I can?

:-)

Regards
Ari