loop devices

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Mon Nov 8 07:58:31 UTC 2004

Folks,

  Very impressed with Warty - it has given me a reason to look at
  debian again ..

  One problem I am having - loopback mounts. They only succeed after
  manually modprobe'ing loop.

andyr at megabook:~ $ sudo bash
Password:
root at megabook:/export # mount -o loop wartywarthog.iso /mnt
mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#
root at megabook:/export # modprobe loop
root at megabook:/export # mount -o loop wartywarthog.iso /mnt
root at megabook:/export #
root at megabook:/export # ps aux | grep dev
root       444  0.0  0.0  1472  380 ?        S<s  08:28   0:00 udevd

  I grepped around /etc/mod* for clues, but only found this :-

/etc/modprobe.d/aliases:alias block-major-7  loop

  What else am I missing ?

  This is a (fairly) stock install, but I have been migrating stuff
  over from my RedHat install that I have used for many years, and
  might have broken something.

Cheers,     Andy!