apt-get failing to find upgrades

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 00:13:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:34:28 -0500, David Coventry <dc at davec.uklinux.net> wrote:
> Okay, David, I apologise if I sound a little tetchy.
>
> The fact is that I wrote my first progam in FORTRAN back in 1972 on
> punch cards at Wits University.
>
> Quite often I get young guys assuming that if I'm over 40, I know
> nothing about computers. Generally, these guys assume that if they can
> negotiate Windows, then they are experts.
>
> Honestly, though, Ubuntu seems to be throwing up a whole lot of
> unnecessary dificulties in the face of their users.
>
> Why would you need to comment out the sources.list file, for example?
>
> In any case, I can't install anything onto my machine: well, that's not
> strictly true, I can download the tarball, untar and ./configure, make
> and make install.
>
> But I'm used to apt-get doing it all for me. And I don't see why it
> needs to be such a chore.
>
> Dave
>

> David M. Carney wrote:

> >>David:
> >>
> >>You see, I'm looking at your reply and I see somebody poking fun at how
> >>pathetic I am.
> >>
> >>As I tried to explain, I am not a newbie.
> >>
> >>As I tried to explain, I know enough to go into the sources.list file in
> >>/etc/apt/ and uncomment out the comments (why do you have to make it so
> >>difficult, are you trying to trip all the newbies up?).
> >>
> >>If that's how you guys get your kicks, that's fine.
> >>
> >>I'll just go and find another 64 bit distro.....
> >>

> >You did make it sound as if you had maybe done that, but I wanted to
> >be sure. It's a simple thing to miss; I did at first.
> >
> >People on this list, including me, don't try to make people feel
> >pathetic. I was only trying to help.
> >
> >David

David,

While I'm not the programmer you are, I'm 51 and I can sympathize with
you on this.

It seems really strange that you can't get apt to work for you. Though
I have several years operating many various Linux distributions, I'm
completely 64 bit unknowledgable.

Could that have something to do with all this, that there aren't any
64 bit packages for what you're looking for, or does it matter 64 bit
vs. 32 bit?

I tried to apt-get wine (simulated apt-get) and except for wanting to
also add libwine, there appeared to be no problem.

Have you also tried Ubuntu's bugzilla page or the Ubuntu IRC channel?

Best of luck to you.

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958