apt-get failing to find upgrades

David Coventry dc at davec.uklinux.net
Mon Nov 8 05:34:28 UTC 2004

Okay, David, I apologise if I sound a little tetchy.

The fact is that I wrote my first progam in FORTRAN back in 1972 on
punch cards at Wits University.

Quite often I get young guys assuming that if I'm over 40, I know
nothing about computers. Generally, these guys assume that if they can
negotiate Windows, then they are experts.

Honestly, though, Ubuntu seems to be throwing up a whole lot of
unnecessary dificulties in the face of their users.

Why would you need to comment out the sources.list file, for example?

In any case, I can't install anything onto my machine: well, that's not
strictly true, I can download the tarball, untar and ./configure, make
and make install.

But I'm used to apt-get doing it all for me. And I don't see why it
needs to be such a chore.

Dave