Small/Older System p300/128 mb

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 04:51:24 UTC 2004

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 19:49:51 -0500, Alexander Poslavsky
<alexander.poslavsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody here using older sytems, p300/128 or something like that?
>
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/LowEndSystemSupport
>
> Does not really cover a complete install.
>
> I would like to run Icewm, A good browser/mail combo (mozilla or
> firefox/Thunderbird) a graphical file-manager etc.
> I know about mutt and command line etc, these computers will be for
> windows-users who are not interisted in learning new tricks, they just
> need to do their jobs and then go home.
>
> So how would I make a system that can replace windows 95 now installed?
>
> From install and forward. What services can I skip/replace etc.

Greetings -- I agree with your assessment of that faq --

I just installed ubuntu on a Pentium 200 system. I have not yet done
the customization but it will end up being fairly similar to what
you're describing (except my intent is more of a server plus scanner
workstation -- like a copier & file server).

So... I did the installation using the "custom" boot prompt and it
left me with NO window manager at all, and as far as I can tell from
looking at dselect there's not even one available with the sources set
as they are...

The faq assumes you do a regular installation and install xfce as an
alternative to Gnome (without removing it). That's probably a lot
easier to document, because the custom situation I have now requires
quite a bit of knowledge to proceed.