HFS filesystems read/write

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 00:14:29 UTC 2004

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:35:48 +0900, David Chart <ubuntu at davidchart.com> wrote:
> How can I mount an HFS filesystem read/write under Ubuntu? The fstab
> that worked on Yellow Dog got me something I couldn't even read, and
> reverting to defaults gets me a read-only filesystem. (Root has write
> permissions, but sudo cp won't let me put things there either.)

Can you post the fstab lines you tried? At the end of this message I
pasted one I'm using under Debian. If you notice the "noauto" I mount
them read only by default (because 99% of the time I mount them under
mol and you can't have two OSes mount them at the same time). You'll
also notice the primary partition is hfsplus, which I got by loading
the hfsplus module (in /etc/modules ).

I believe it's the "user" designation that allows regular accounts to
mount and umount. The final zero means the OS will never attempt to
fsck them. I gather it's frustrating when it tries to.

Oh and the line for hdg isn't working yet (I'm trying to read a flash
card in the PCMCIA slot) so if YOU see a mistake please feel free to
point it out.

Check the man pages for mount and fstab for more exotic details....

---------------------------------

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda8       /               ext3
defaults,noatime,commit=60,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda12      /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda9       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
#
/dev/hda11      /mac/shared     hfs     defaults,user,noauto    0       0
/dev/hda10      /mac/os9        hfsplus defaults,user,noauto    0       0
/dev/hdg        /media/pccard   msdos   defaults,user,noauto    0       0