DVD burning problems

Robert Parker bposs at dodo.com.au
Fri Nov 5 08:58:42 UTC 2004

On Friday 05 November 2004 11:03, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 10:49:56AM +1100, Robert Parker wrote:
> > On Friday 05 November 2004 07:44, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > > I do this all the time (it's how I burn Ubuntu test CD images), and it
> > > has never behaved this way for me.  The only difference is that I do
> > > not use -dvd-compat, but I don't think that should matter.
> >
> > It worked when I substituted '/dev/dvd' for '/dev/hdc'.
> > /dev/dvd is just a symlink to /dev/hdc so why that made a difference I
> > don't know.
>
> That is very surprising.  Is this behaviour repeatable?  Can you try the
> two different command lines in exactly the same environment, one after the
> other, and cause the same results?

I be absent this weekend, but on return I'll update the Debian Sarge dvd
snapshot iso's (assuming the jigdos are updated). I will then burn the 2
using the different parameters just see what happens.

> > > Try right-clicking on the ISO in Nautilus and burning it that way.
> >
> > Did try that, and I kind of like the idea for when I'm using the box thru
> > a gui. But, because I'm running each distro in a 5gig partition, when
> > Nautilus trys to copy the iso first up (why the copy?) it complains about
> > lack of room. I do have a 40 gig area to share with whatever Linux I boot
> > into so maybe I can persuade Nautilus to use that.
>
> I do not know what copy you are referring to; I write DVDs with Nautilus
> almost daily, and it has never made a copy of the .iso as part of the
> process.

I just get a 'no room on device' error for whatever reason. Since Ubuntu is
running in a 5gig partition and the iso is ~4gig (located on hdb1, an 80gig
partition), I assumed it was trying to copy it. Obviously there is enough
room on a new blank dvd so it shouldn't be complaining about that. FWIW the
gui progress bar was about 1/3 complete when it quit.

That's not a big issue though, CLI's are too easy to use, once up to speed
with the application, to bother with a GUI.

Bob
--
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.