Dial Up / Modem Problem

Johann De Freitas jdefreitas at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 23:23:38 UTC 2004

The Modem is 3 COM V90 56k Internal/Voice Fax Modem Model 0727
Chipset 3CP3298-DEL
FCC ID 4X2USA-32034-M5-E ie a confirmed hardware modem.

Not very familiar with Gnome usually kppp is my dial up tool of
choice. Windows detects modem on COM5 ie ttyS4. Found the networking
wizard tool and filled in necessary details, here are the steps
normally required to get my modem working in most distros :Suse,
Mandrake, Yoper, Slackware etc.

cd /dev
mknod ttyS4 c 4 6
ln -s ttyS4 modem

The properties tab of ppp0 shows the modem as /dev/modem but I am
unable to connect. The autodetect option didn't yield any better
results. Changing /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS4 no change.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot the problem?