Disabling IPv6

Niall Sheridan niall at blacknight.ie
Mon Nov 1 22:42:50 UTC 2004

Quick note on this.
(And yes, I'm 'one of those people' who use ipv6 daily :) )

If you want to disable ipv6 properly, the best way to do it is to stop
the module from loading. As of 2.6, ipv6 is enabled automatically even
if compiled as a module. If you want to stop it loading (and I can
appreciate that it can be a problem if you're not ipv6 enabled), you
should do the following (all using sudo or as the root user):

edit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
find the line:
'alias net-pf-10 ipv6'
change it to:
'alias net-pf-10 off'.
run update-modules (I am assuming that this is still correct behaviour
for 2.6 kernels).
ipv6 was designed not to be removed while the system is running, so you
must reboot at this time to remove it completely.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Niall