Disabling IPv6

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:52:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:13:32 +0100, Oliver Grawert
<hostmaster at grawert.net> wrote:

> probably because we linve in the 21st century (and slowly run out of
> adresses) ?
> ipv6 was introduced in '96 ....

Hey Oli. I wasn't questioning the overall NEED for IPv6. I definitely
understand it's benefits. I just wasn't aware of anyone actually using
it yet. When my ISP (the US's largest cable ISP) assigns me an IPv6
address instead of IPv4, then I'll understand why it's turned on by
default in Ubuntu. I've seen other decisions that were made based on
providing the best possible solution for everybody. If the majority of
end users are using IPv4, why introduce IPv6 which appears to cause
problems right now?

BTW - I'm not trying to argue either way. Just trying to clarify my
question a little. :-)

Also, thanks for the info piranha. I've seen some of those names in
passing, but obvioiusly need to read up on them a bit!

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu