.bat file type thing

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Fri Dec 31 17:15:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 17:55 +0200, Simon Taplin wrote:
> What is the equivilent to the old .bat files in DOS/Windows. I want
> learn some type of scripting language for linux. I am considering
> perl
> and python (anybody know any good free books on either of these?).
> Are
> these a good choice or is there something else?

You can write simple scripts in the bash scripting language, which is
the closest to an alternative for .bat files for the bash shell. There
are enough free guides online, please try http://www.tldp.org for one.

Perl and python are also nice scripting languages, but perhaps more
suited for more complicated work than simple scripting.
--
Dennis K.
  And that's the way the cookie crumbles!