UTF-8

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Fri Dec 31 00:56:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:05:00AM +0200, Ari Torhamo wrote:
> to, 2004-12-30 kello 17:39 +0000, Colin Watson kirjoitti:
> > I think you mean es_ES.UTF-8 (the @euro is unnecessary, and the
> > .UTF-8 at euro locales were a mistake that probably shouldn't be
> > perpetuated). Upgrades to Hoary should generate proper UTF-8 locales for
> > you automatically now.
>
> What kind of a problem is there with @euro locales?

  http://bugs.debian.org/274491

They're simply redundant, and some packages seem to have trouble with
them.

> Would it be better for me to change to fi_FI.UTF-8, as I'm using
> fi_FI.UTF-8 at euro at present.

You should definitely switch to fi_FI.UTF-8. You should notice no
difference except perhaps that a few things start working better. :-)

The automatic UTF-8 locale generation on upgrade to Hoary ignores
.UTF-8 at euro locales.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]