Need "rc.local", Ubuntu doesn't have one

Ville Vainio vivainio at kolumbus.fi
Thu Dec 30 21:30:10 UTC 2004

(This is a repost as an actual member of the mailing list)

Many distros have /etc/init.d/rc.local (place to put stuff that you want
to run at *end* of boot process, think of it as a kind of autoexec.bat),
and it would be great in Ubuntu too. Creating symlinks manually is mucho
pain, and I was advised that update-rc.d isn't to be used by
flesh-and-blood users (because it reverts the changes hone manually on
next update), contrary to what a lot of the world seems to think,
including the first google hit:

http://www.desktop-linux.net/debian-rclocal.htm

Tell me that the idea is worthwhile, and I'll file a bugzilla report.