sudo on ubuntu. what's wrong

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Thu Dec 30 16:54:03 UTC 2004

Markus Kolb wrote:

> Should I only write: "The order does matter!"
> Then the lazy guy answers again and again: "The order doesn't matter" ;-)
> I've simply told him that he should try it first before he answers
> again. Nothing angry.

For the record I think that dismissing peoples' suggestions in the way
that was done here is the "out of order", not the getting upset at it...
a suggestion was made, and there would have been no harm in a reply that
said something like "I tried re-ordering but it doesn't have seemed to
have made a difference" but to say "the order does not matter" as was
done was very offensive.

I would be offended had it been my contribution that had been treated
so... you can't get everybody to contribute to a community if people are
unnecessarily rude... and it was the message, not the reply, that struck
me as such.

You're shooting the wrong guy -- he's the victim, not the villian.

Sean