Xorg - no taskbar/dock/panel - HOARY

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Dec 30 12:12:11 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 08:01:32PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
>On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 12:28:42PM -0500, volvoguy said
>> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 18:41:15 +0800, Ian Hogben <ianhogben at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> > When I log in to the desktop, I don't have any taskbar/dock/panel
>> > or whatever it is called. Just a blank desktop background. The only
>> > thing I can do at all is to right-click on the desktop and open a
>> > terminal, and from there manually type in the command-line args for
>> > whatever apps I want. It doesn't help much with things like Azureus
>> > and Apollon and Gaim that all stay in the taskbar. :-/
>>
>> I've had similar problems with Hoary for at least the past few weeks.
>> Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've found that if I can
>> kill X somehow, and kill all the GDM processes, and "sudo gdm" again,
>> it works on the second try. Rebooting the machine seems to help
>> sometimes too. In my case, I can't even click/right-click anything on
>> the desktop, so I'm stuck switching to another terminal.
>
>Does "killall nautilus gnome-panel gnome-vfs-daemon trashapplet" 'fix'
>it?

I was experiencing the same problem as Ian, and the above line fixed it
for me. The fix even survives logouts/reboots :-)

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Microsoft is after all our entertainment technologies. It is an assault on
so many fronts it is easy to lose track.
     -- David Strom