File links and Nautilus CD-Writer

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 29 02:48:11 UTC 2004

Le mercredi 29 décembre 2004 à 04:32 +0200, Ari Torhamo a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I accidentally noticed that when you add a file link to Nautilus
> CD-Writer window, it's not the link that gets burned into the disk, but
> the original file. Is this how it always works? I experimented a little
> with this and it seems to be so, but bacause I might use this to back up
> my files, I would like to know for sure (maybe it depends on something).
> To my remembering in Windoze (Nero) it's only the link that gets
> written.
>
> Yes, I know, there propably are much better tools for backing up your
> data than Nautilus CD-burner, but right now I need something without a
> learning curve :-)
>
> I wonder if anybody is going to awnser me at this time of the night.
> Maybe someone on the other side of the earth - it's four o'clock in the
> afternoon there. Wonder what country is in opposite to Finland on the
> earth? I wish I had a globe.

It's 4 in the morning here in France, Finland is not that far, can't
believe it's 4 in the afternoon there, must be a typo ! ;o)

The beauty of Nautilus burner is its simplicity, so if it doesn't do
what you like, I don't think there is any way to configure it (unless
you patch it yourself and recompile ;o)
so you will have to use some other program.
Yesterday I tried K3B for the first time. I am sure I saw an option that
let's you select wether you want to burn links, or the file the point
to, or none of the two.
You could also try Eroaster, it's a Gnome app, so more user friendly
than K3B, yet still with  quite a few potions, maybe there is something
about links in there as well, worth a look.

regards,

Vince, 4AM in France, freezing cold, but still very hot compared to
Finland ;o)