Need help with Mplayer

Jozsef Mak j_mak3 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 28 21:24:45 UTC 2004

>From: "rodrigo ahumada" <rodahum1978 at hotmail.com>
>To: j_mak3 at hotmail.com
>Subject: RE: Need help with Mplayer
>Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 17:42:49 -0300
>

>>From: "Jozsef Mak" <j_mak3 at hotmail.com>
>>To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
>>Subject: Need help with Mplayer
>>Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:08:13 -0500
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I just installed mplayer on Ubuntu with gui enabled. During the
>>configuration and the installation process everything went smoothly. But
>>when i want to start the program i get the following error.
>>
>>MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.4 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
>>CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon Thunderbird (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
>>Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
>>CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
>>Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx
>>

>>vo: X11 running at 1024x768 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
>>display)
>>Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
>>Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system
>>startup scripts.
>>
>>Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
>>"libsmooth.so",
>>Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
>>"libsmooth.so",
>>Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
>>"libsmooth.so",
>>Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
>>"libsmooth.so",
>>Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
>>"libsmooth.so",
>>Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate loadable module in module_path:
>>"libsmooth.so",
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>jozsefmak
>
>1.- to be sure that mplayer is working, run "mplayer a_movie.mpg" and must
>appear window without buttons showing the movie, to close press Q.
>
>2.- wher you got mplayer, compiled from sources?, it uses gtk1 libraries
>and ubuntu install nothing that uses them..., so you can use mplayer but no
>gmplayer...
>
>to install gtk1: apt-get install libgtk1.2...

I downloaded the source code from the mplayer.hu site and I followed the
installation instructions exactly. And as I said everything went smoothly. I
also downloaded skins and copied them into the usr/local/share/Skin folder
as i was instructed.

I also have the libgtk1.2 installed on my system.

mplayer works fine from the command line. I have a few .mov and .avi movies
and it plays them flawlessly.

jozsefmak