correct configuration of glx

josé ángel madrid gómez joseangelmadrid at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 00:49:49 UTC 2004

rodrigo ahumada wrote:

> 1.- look for /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
>    in Section "device" must say:
>        Driver "nvidia"
>    Section "Module":
>        erase "dri" and "GLcore"
>
> 2.- run "lsmod" (to see loaded modules), look for "nvidia"
>     if not, add "nvidia" to /etc/modules
>     when loaded, must exist /dev/nvidiactl and /dev/nvidia[0-3]
>
> 3.- be sure that agpgart and nvidia_agp ar NOT loaded (can cause hangs)

Everything is correct. I had to edit the xorg.conf file to include a line:
Option "NoEDID" "1"
If i do not include that line in the device section, the screen falls to
800x600 {or 640x480, I cannot determine it}
I have to retouch too the monitor section and include:

HorizSync	28-49
VertRefresh	43-72
as this two lines disappear when doing nvidia-glx-config enable
But still, glx doesn't seem to work.
if I run: glxinfo, lots of line like:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
0x21 24 tc  1  0  0 c  .  .  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
come up to my console.
if I run glxgears:

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
glxgears: Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual.

So I think something must be running wrong.

A look to /var/log/xorg.0.log...

(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) Option "dpms"
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load GLX
Yeah, it failed. But, why? What am I doing wrong?

I keep on learning