Lost sound?!

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Mon Dec 27 22:46:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 02:26:28AM EST, Senectus . wrote:
> Somehow.. somewhere along the line I lost sound..
> I'm not sure how it was done but I believe it had something to do with
> installing gmplayer..
> I've looked into alsamixer and nothing that I need is muted.. all the
> volumes are up...
>
> I have no idea where to look next, any idea's?

If you have multiple sound cards, have you checked that the card you
want is the default, i.e card 0?

Have you also checked with lsof or currently running processes to see if
there is anything either holding a sound device open, or something to do
with alsa currently running?

Have you tried to play a simple wav file with the aplay command, or an
ogg file with ogg123?

Hope these suggestions help.

Luke